Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Gearing Up for Jewelry Class Starting May 2nd,
NWACC at the Crossing



Hi, everyone!  It's such a pleasure being able to write to all of you.  With class at NWAAC beginning in a little over a week, on May 2nd, I am getting the supplies together.

I'm all geared up to start again.  Today, I made another braided choker, to wear alone or with a pendant.  Our camera acted up yesterday and did not focus right on the jewelry, so pictures will follow as soon as possible.

It is such a blessing to have such a fun hobby.  There is never a lack of ideas to try when I keep the right items around.  I suggest beads, 20 gauge  wire, wire for necklaces, closures and magazine pictures, not to mention catalogs of jewelry, and general inspirations like a trip to a supply store.  Even colors, new clothes for spring, and daydreaming work.  Find a way to copy a favorite, and savor the feeling of creating new and interesting pieces.  Pliers of many styles are necessary ,  and fun to experiment with.  Our first class will include a demonstration of drilling a hole into a stone we happen to find anywhere with a drill.

Coming here from Arizona 2 and 1/2 years ago, there are so many examples of stones I found that simply were not drilled yet, and I had no experience with a drill--at least not enough to not shatter the rock find.  I used to spend time in jewelry stores in Scottsdale.  That was wonderful experience to get me started.  I found I  could use the inspiration well in making my first pieces.  The availability of so much turquoise and quartz was incredible too.  The trend now is more in wire, but beads of beauty will never leave.  My favorite this year is lapis, so I try to stick to blues for a while, then change.  Anything will work when the urge strikes.  Have fun practicing, and see you soon in class.

This time we will make watches with interchangeable bands, several kinds of wire pieces, and other fun projects.  Each time you will take home a completed project, and often 2,3, or 4.  I will keep writing as class time comes.




1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate the person who has written such a wonderful blog. Your simple use of language and no frills makes the post a great read...
    Diamond Jewelry Tampa

    ReplyDelete